- Redmond 8, LW 3 - Dylan Davis struck out 12 over 5 2/3 innings and also had a game-changing bases loaded double as the Mustangs remained atop the Crest Division with an 8-3 win over Lake Washington. Davis allowed 3 earned on 3 hits in his time on the mound, and hit his big double in the fifth when the game was tied 2-2. Senior Josh Bircher contributed 2 hits and 3 runs scored to help the Mustangs clinch a playoff berth. The loss was the fourth straight for LW, who was led by the 2 RBI of Trevor Dunlap.
- Inglemoor 7, Skyline 6 (9 inn.) - Craig Jacobson's RBI single capped a three-run bottom of the ninth as Inglemoor fought back for a 7-6 win over the Spartans. The game was tied at 4-4 in the ninth when Skyline shortstop Nate Litka hit a two-run double off Viking reliever Dustin Doucette to give Skyline the 6-4 lead. Inglemoor would not be denied on this night however, with an RBI double by Marc Dickerson and a wild pitch tying the game and setting up Jacobson's heroics. Inglemoor became the first team in the Crown division to clinch a playoff berth, and improved to 10-1 in league play in the process. Skyline fell to 5-6, but maintained their three game lead over Garfielf for the final playoff spot in the Crest.
- Issaquah 5, Woodinville 1 - Senior Shane Yarnell outdueled fellow ace Luke Taylor, as the Eagles used a 3-run sixth inning to break open a close game and top Woodinvlle, 5-1. Yarnell went the distance again, improving to 5-0 in KingCo play allowing just 3 hits and a walk while striking out 6. Senior catcher Devin O'Donnell was 1-for-3 with 2 RBI and Jake Bakamus had two hits for Issaquah, who secured a spot in the KingCo playoffs with the win. Sophomore Shea Donlin doubled and drove in the lone Falcon run. Woodinville now sits at 7-4, 3 games behind division leading Inglemoor.
- Ballard 2, Garfield 0 - Junior Danny Thompson hit a 2-run walk-off home run in the bottom of the seventh, as Ballard completed an impressive stretch against the Crest division with a 2-0 win over Garfield. Ballard won 4 of 6 crossover games, and senior Ryan Garrett was a big reason why. The southpaw, fresh off his win against Redmond, tossed a 3-hit shutout, striking out 7 against just 2 walks. Garfield sophomore John Trupin matched Garrett pitch for pitch until the dramatic seventh inning. The win puts the Beavers in a fourth place tie with Bothell, one game ahead of Lake Washington for the final playoff spot in the Crown division.
- Bothell 11, Eastlake 2 - Senior Evan Hudson returned from a short hiatus to toss six solid innings as Bothell snapped a 5-game losing streak with an 11-2 win over Eastlake. Hudson allowed two earned runs while striking out eight Wolves. The game was tied at 2 in the fifth, when they erupted for six runs to take command. Ryan Morgan was 3-for-4 with 4 RBI and Kevin Knapp was 2-for-3 with a double and three runs scored for Bothell, who improved to 5-6. Eastlake dropped their seventh straight conference game and sits at 1-10.
- Newport 7, Roosevelt 2 - Seniors Jeff Gonzales and Joey Gale combined on a 1-hitter and Reid Dilley had a double and an RBI as the Knights improved to 8-3 with a win over Roosevelt. Reigning Crown division pitcher of the week Tim Moore took the loss, allowing 4 runs (3 earned) and 4 hits in 5 innings of work. Newport, who are assured a spot in the KingCo playoffs, will take on Redmond Thursday in a battle for first place in the Crest Division.
Wednesday, April 21, 2010
Half of League's Playoff Berths Secured
Tuesday saw four teams clinch spots in the KingCo 4A playoffs, including three teams in the highly competitive Crest Division. The other four spots will be up for grabs when divisional play returns on Thursday.